Natural Hardwood or Laminate? Which Floors Meet Your Needs?
Are you not sure whether to choose hardwood floors or laminate for your home remodel project? While both materials achieve a finished and elegant look, there are differences between the two. The Design House wants to help you decide which is best for you and your family.
When considering replacing your existing flooring and updating your home with a new look, cost is going to be a major factor.
- Hardwood flooring is created from 100% solid wood, meaning each plank is going to cost more per square foot in addition to the cost of installation. The finished product creates beauty and elegance, but it might not be the best option if you’re on a tight budget.
- Laminate flooring is made from composite wood pressed together at high temperatures. The image replicates a wood-look finish but is made from cheaper synthetic materials. Installing laminate is also a much simpler process since each slat is made to interlock together.
When choosing between natural hardwood or laminate, you want to look closely at what kind of traffic comes in out of the home. Will the floor withstand pets and kids, or does style hold more of a priority?
- Hardwood floors damage with excessive moisture and will show wear and tear much faster. You will have to take extra caution with hardwoods because they also scratch easier. Hardwoods are a great option for master bedrooms or dining room with less traffic.
- Laminate is durable and resistant to scratches, wear and tear, and moisture. Laminate is known as the practical flooring option because of how durable it can be. Something to be aware of with laminate though is the lower qualities have artificial wood grain textures. It might be beneficial to go with a slightly higher quality to get everything you need.
Whether you decide on natural hardwood or laminate, the day-to-day maintenance is pretty simple. Most floors can be mopped with a terry cloth mop and floor cleaner. But what about repairs? How does each flooring option handle repairs?
- Natural hardwood is the easiest floor to repair. Any spot or section of the floor can be repaired by sanding and re-staining. This gives it the upper hand to over laminate.
- Laminate floors when scratched or dented most often have to be fully replaced. You might be able to replace one board piece at a time, but it may be difficult to match based on the age of the flooring.
Whichever flooring choice you decide, know that with 50 years of master craftsmanship, your team at the Design House will assist you in helping make the right choice for your family.
Call The Design House today!!
The Design House is all-encompassing when it comes to meeting your home design needs – and that includes helping you decide whether natural hardwood or laminate is the best options for you and your unique space. Don’t get us wrong, some stores can do many of the same things, but none offer as much as we do under one roof.
Our 10,000 square foot showroom is located on Colorado Blvd. near the Golden Triangle Mall. In addition to our great selection of home design options, customers get the personal attention they deserve when they walk through the door.
We are a stone’s throw from clients in Denton, Argyle, Flower Mound, Sanger, Ponder, Pilot Point, Lewisville, Corinth, Lake Dallas, and Highland Village, but we also boast regular clients as far out as Colleyville, Graham, Houston, and all points in between. Give us a call for your next home design need. You will not leave disappointed.
Our Current Specials (See stores for details):
- Season of Style Savings Event: Don’t wait to get your home holiday ready with beautiful Hunter Douglas shades. Rebates starting at $100 on qualifying purchases Sept. 14th – Dec. 9th.
- 25% off or 36 months interest-free financing on shutters, blinds, & custom window treatments
- Laminate starting at $.79/SQ FT; Engineered hardwoods starting at $1.99/SQ FT; Vinyl Plank starting at $.69/SQ FT; Carpet starting at $1.29/SQ FT
- Granite material only $10/SQ FT; Quartz material only $15/SQ FT
- In-Stock carpet starting at $1.99/SQ FT (free installation)
- In-Stock wood flooring starting at $6.99/SQ FT installed 36 months interest-free financing
- $500 off kitchen and bath remodels $24 interest-free financing with approved credit